You may have seen the news this weekend. Criminal hackers have released a new strain of ransomware that spreads itself automatically across all workstations in a network. This encrypts data and only releases it in exchange for money.
What is Ransomware: ‘’a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid.’’
Important Note: The spread of ransomware happens when attachments from a third party or when a link is clicked from an unknown source.
What can you do to prevent these attacks?
- Ensure you install all Microsoft updates when they arrive. These contain essential security patches
- Make sure that your antivirus is running. If it is not, please get in touch with IT immediately
- Do not attach any unauthorised personal device to the network
- Do not attach any unauthorised personal USBs or MP3 to the network
- Do not open any attachment or links from an unknown third party
- Do not open any attachments or links from a known third party if you are not expecting that email
We would also like to emphasise that we are taking necessary measured to make our system more robust and resistant to potential attacks.